Do you need a licence for your vehicle?
If you drive a road vehicle to transport dangerous goods, your vehicle must be licensed by WorkSafe Tasmania if the capacity of the containers you transport:
- exceed 500 litres or kilograms for a container
- exceed 3000 litres for a single IBC (Intermediate Bulk Container) or total capacity of IBCs, not filled or emptied on the vehicle
- are a Risk Category 3 load for Class 1 (explosives).
Applying for and renewing a dangerous goods vehicle licence
You must submit an Application For Dangerous Goods Vehicle Licence form (PDF, 751.7 KB) at a Service Tasmania outlet.
To be eligible to apply for a licence:
- your vehicle and equipment must be in a safe condition
- personal protective equipment and vehicle safety equipment must be provided
- the tank design and construction must have documented evidence verifying design approval and tank compliance
- the vehicle must be roadworthy
- the vehicle must satisfy all relevant provisions of the Australian Code for the Transport of Explosives by Road and Rail (AE Code) (external link).