Do you need a shot-firing permit?
You need a shot-firing permit issued by WorkSafe Tasmania (or an interstate shot-firing authority recognised by WorkSafe Tasmania) if you wish to prime or fire explosives in Tasmania.
In almost all cases, you will also need a Security-sensitive Dangerous Substances permit from WorkSafe Tasmania.
A permit is valid for 3 years unless cancelled, revoked, or issued for a shorter period.
How to apply for and renew a shot-firing permit
You must submit a completed Application for shot-firing permit at a Service Tasmania outlet.
You can also use this form to:
- renew your shot-firer permit
- have an interstate shot-firing permit recognised by WorkSafe Tasmania
- seek approval from WorkSafe Tasmania to undertake an approved shot-firing training course.
Permits to undertake shot-firing will only be issued if you:
- are 18 years of age or older
- have a legitimate need for the permit
- are a ‘fit and proper person’ as determined by a National Police Record Check. You will be contacted by WorkSafe Tasmania when we receive your shot-firing permit application.
Blasting near underground services
All shot-firers and anyone commissioning blasting work should:
- call Dial Before You Dig on 1100 or go to the Dial Before You Dig website (external link)
- check the Tasmanian Gas Pipeline website (external link).
to find out what underground services are near.
Accreditation for delivering shot-firing course
If you wish to deliver a training course for shot-firing, you must have the course approved by WorkSafe Tasmania.
You must submit a completed Application for accreditation: Shot-firing course, shot-firing instructor form at a Service Tasmania outlet.