What is an SSDS permit needed for?
You must get an SSDS permit from WorkSafe Tasmania to use, store, manufacture, purchase, sell or import:
- SSE (Security Sensitive Explosives)
- SSAN (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate)
If you hold an SSDS permit, you can also apply to have ‘responsible workers’ added to the permit, who can carry out restricted activity on your behalf.
How to apply for an SSDS permit
To apply for a new SSDS permit: submit a completed Application For Security-Sensitive Dangerous Substances Permit form (PDF, 1.7 MB) at a Service Tasmania outlet.
To add a new responsible worker to your current SSDS permit: submit a completed Application for New/Renewal Responsible Workers (PDF, 1.0 MB) form at a Service Tasmania outlet.
To transfer a current responsible worker to a new SSDS permit: submit a completed Transfer of Responsible Worker to a New SSDS Permit Holder (PDF, 913.8 KB) application form at a Service Tasmania outlet.
SSDS permits will only be issued if you:
- are 18 years of age or older
- have a legitimate need for the permit
- are a ‘fit and proper person’ as determined by a National Police Record Check. You will be contacted by Worksafe Tasmania when we receive your SSDS permit application.
If you are involved in activities using less than 3 kg of SSAN, you can apply for an exemption.
You must submit a completed Security-Sensitive Dangerous Substances Application for Exemption of ‘Low-Scale Restricted Activity’ (PDF, 2.2 MB) form to any Service Tasmania outlet.