This industry includes:
- sports, physical recreation, and horse/dog racing activities
- amusement activities
- gambling activities
- parks/nature reserves, gardens and zoos
- performing arts venues
- museums and galleries.
Occupations in this industry include:
- performers such as musicians and dancers, artists
- office-based workers.
Most common hazards and injuries
Workers in this industry are likely to be injured at work due to:
- body stressing
- falls, slips and trips
- being hit by moving objects
- mental stress.
Common hazards that workers in this industry are exposed to include:
- long hours standing
- lifting and moving heavy objects
This industry has a variety of workspaces, ranging from offices to environments with heavy and potentially dangerous equipment, and venues with noise and light as potential hazards.
- Provide training and instruction in safe manual handling procedures.
- Maintain good housekeeping to ensure there are no obstructions or trip hazards on floors or in store areas.
- Encourage a standing friendly work culture: encourage standing in meetings, when reading documents or taking phone calls; invest in height-adjustable desks, use stairs instead of lifts.