This industry includes:
- bricks-and-mortar shops for all kinds of products
- direct mail and online shopping.
Occupations in this industry include store persons and salespeople.
There is usually a high number of young people in this industry. For many it is their first job. So you should think about the training and supervision they will need to do their job safely.
Most common hazards and injuries
Workers in this industry are likely to be injured at work due to:
- body stressing
- falls, slips and trips
- being hit by moving objects
- mental stress.
Common hazards that workers in this industry are exposed to include:
- long hours standing
- lifting and moving heavy objects
- Provide training and instruction in safe manual handling procedures.
- Maintain good housekeeping to ensure there are no obstructions or trip hazards on floors or in store areas.
- Good quality anti-fatigue and anti-slip flooring will reduce the risk of falls and make work more comfortable for workers who stand for long periods.
- Have written work procedures and protocols that clarify behaviour expectations.
- Set realistic work schedules and deadlines.