An injury management policy:
- reflects an employer’s commitment to the principles of injury management and return to work
- forms the basis for your injury management program
- should focus on and address injury management and return to work issues.
Your injury management policy should:
- reflect your commitment to the principles of effective injury management and return to work for injured/ill workers; that promotes the principles of early reporting, early intervention, injury management and the return to work hierarchy
- state your commitment to developing and implementing an injury management program (this may be your insurer’s program), which is supplemented by written procedures, readily available in the workplace, identifying the roles, rights and responsibilities of all parties
- include the right of an injured/ill worker to choose their own accredited primary treating medical practitioner and participate in selecting their accredited workplace rehabilitation provider
- require return to work plans and injury management plans be developed in consultation with all parties according with the injury management program
- be appropriate to the nature and scale of your organisation, be written so that it is easily understood by workers, and capable of being implemented in your workplace. The policy should be developed in consultation with, and endorsed by, all workplace parties, with provision for input by unions if workers request it
- be consistent with the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988, other supporting legislation and guidelines, and your insurer’s injury management policy. The policy should also be consistent with your work health and safety policy and other management systems
- promote continuous improvement and be reviewed regularly (annually) to demonstrate your commitment to the policy and to ensure it remains consistent with the Injury Management Program Guidelines
- be explained to all new workers joining your organisation and be displayed prominently in appropriate locations so your workers can easily read it.