About the WorkCover Tasmania Board
The WorkCover Tasmania Board works with workers, employers, medical practitioners, licenced insurers, self-insurers and others to ensure a fair and equitable workers compensation scheme, good return to work outcomes and safer workplaces for all Tasmanian workers.
To achieve this, the Board:
- oversees Tasmania’s workers compensation scheme and monitors the performance of scheme participants
- promotes prompt and effective injury management
- promotes safe and healthy workplaces by providing health and safety guidance.
The Board also provides advice to the Minister for Workplace Safety and Consumer Affairs on workers compensation and rehabilitation matters, and on work health and safety matters.
WorkSafe Tasmania supports the Board’s functions in overseeing the Tasmanian workers compensation scheme and ensuring effective injury management; and supports the Board’s key strategic priorities. In 2022-23, this work includes:
- responding to current and emerging WHS issues: including silicosis in construction, manufacturing and mining
- providing information, advice and education to employers and workers: including though the Advisory Service, events such as WorkSafe Month and the Safe Bodies Safe Minds Expo, and Workplace Issues magazine
- improving injury outcomes in the Tasmanian State Service
- developing a framework that supports seriously injured workers and families of workers who have died in a workplace incident
- developing an electronic workers compensation claim form and medical certificate
- developing strategies to achieve awareness of PTSD among GPs, workers compensation scheme participants and others
- analysing data and trends to inform decision making and future strategies: including the annual industry snapshots, which provide safety performance data and existing and emerging trends for Tasmanian industry.