A compulsory permit system regulates activities involving:

  • SSE (Security Sensitive Explosives)
  • SSAN (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate)

You must get a SSDS permit from WorkSafe Tasmania to use, store, manufacture, purchase, sell or import SSE or SSAN.

If you hold a SSDS permit, you can also apply to have 'responsible workers' added to the permit, so these workers can carry out restricted activity on your behalf.

Anyone involved in activities using less than 3 kg of SSAN can apply to WorkSafe for an exemption from the SSDS permit requirements.