Replacement cards

You will need to lodge your application by taking the following documentation to a Service Tasmania Shop and paying the appropriate fee.

  • completed replacement card application form
  • your construction card number
  • evidence of identity documents

You can only apply for a replacement card if your original card was issued in Tasmania. Service Tasmania will review the documentation and forward it to WorkSafe for processing. If you do not receive your card within 60 days from lodgement, you will need to contact WorkSafe.